This section was auto-translated by Google Translator. My apologies. I will add proper english translation soon. If you feel you could help with the translation, don’t hesitate and email me at email@example.com.
[Google Translated]In the front square outside the church there is a sandstone column of St. Florian. The column was founded by the Jesuits in thanks for his deliverance from the fire after a lightning strike. At its base a Latin inscription was placed with a hidden date:
“DIVVs FLorIanVs aDVersVs Incendia patronVs (1684),”
which means: “St. Florian patron, protector against fire”.In the western facade of the temple there are four portals with sandstone sculptures, including Crucifixion as well as statues: the Virgin Mary and Child, the Twelve Apostles and patrons of the church, St. Stanislaus of Szczepanów and St. Wenzel (specifying the date of the construction of the portal, 1427) are on both outer sides of the portals to see the symbols of the four evangelists: on the north side of the eagle (St. John.), and the lion (St. Mark.), on the south side of the bull and the Angel (St. Luke.) (St. Matthew.). The Latin inscriptions, which can be seen on the church door, translated loud, from left:
“Truly this place is holy.” “This is the house of God.”, “To you be glory, honor and admiration.”, “Praise the Lord, all ye people.”
About the middle portals we see the largest Gothic church window in Silesia, which is composed of two smaller, a larger and a smaller associated with sharp bends. On the summit of the west facade are three niches, in the middle of a sculpture Holy Virgin Mary with the Child Jesus. On the north side there is a fifth portal that was once called the Gate of the Bride is (it was also called Gate of Böttcher). It leads to the north aisle. Towards the end of the 19th century, all the portals were in poor condition and had to be renovated. It was partially changed its original appearance. Are located on the west portals freestanding sculptures: a Gothic St. St. Anne (with the date 1496), which holds the Holy Mother of God and the little Christ (presumably it was from the former church of St. Anna brought here.) And a baroque. the the Holy. Johannes Nepomuk is (from 1727). The Hl. Anna was after the Apocrypha (the Urevangelisten John, the Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew) the mother of the Virgin Mary. However, the Gospels do not mention her name. The cult of St. Anna developed in the early Middle Ages, her husband was the Holy. Joachim. . On the pedestal of St. John Nepomuk, there are two reliefs, from the front: the saint is thrown from the Charles bridge in Prague in the Vltava river, from behind. Queen Joanna, the wife of Wenceslas IV of Luxembourg, the at St. John. Nepomuk confesses.
The parish church is a three-aisled basilica. The nave has a vaulted ceiling (with a polychromy from 1739), built by Johann Georg Etgens from Brno), the aisles, however, have cross vaults. In the church there is a whole range of beautiful altars, sculptures and other art objects. The description of the interior, we start at the paintings in the vault beneath the organ loft, showing the Adoration of the Name of Jesus, by the action of the Holy. Ignaz von Loyola and St.. Franz Xaver on all major continents (Africa, a black woman with ivory, Europe a woman in an ermine mantle, America an Indian with bow, Asia woman in turban). Between the doors to the nave there is a figure of St.. Johannes Nepomuk. On the southern side wall, right of the entrance, an epitaph of the last Catholic priest in Świdnica of the 16th century, Martin frueauf, who died in 1561 at the age of 99 years. This is the called. Mercy seat.
In the middle field kneels the deceased, on the other hand, it is the Holy. represented Trinity. In the following Latin inscription:
“Here the lecturer Martin frueauf is buried, a faithful priest of Christ as a teacher he led schools in which he taught the illiterate youth useful things,. shepherd as he then headed the church in which he with his flock the Word of God grazed, and was successively worked tirelessly under four bishops, and finally he died in the prime of his days as a choirmaster, as if he had hymns of praise and hours prayers to sing the Holy Cross plea for the salvation of his soul to peace for. his body, and life everlasting for both, that they are united in the world to come. “
Below is still another inscription, stating that frueauf at the age of 99 years, 3 months and 6 days died. On this ship, there are a number of chapels.
The first of these is the Holy mother of Świdnica consecrated, also called the marble chapel, because of its current configuration. The chapel was founded around 1459 by the guild of butchers, in the Baroque period it was rebuilt. On the altar of the name Maria is seen from scrambled letters. In 1726 the disasters which Świdnica was afflicted, painted on the vault: plague, famine and war, as well as a panorama of the city and the figure of the prince Bolkos II The are exploiting dividend here altar dates from the year 1727 The sculptures. to have him ask the mother of God, Joachim and Anna, the parents. The oval painting dates from about 1480 and shows the Virgin in the sun.
Another chapel is the Hl. Josef dedicated (donated by the Kramerzunfthaus in 1487). On the altar there is a painting of the Holy. Josef, St.. Georg and St.. Christopher. In addition to the altarpiece are figures of the so-called holy warriors, to the bishops. St. Wolfgang and St. Nicholas, and the holy deacons:.. Vincent and Lawrence .
On the opposite side a huge painting that hangs around 1695 Świdnica represents. The city is shown only within the city walls, without the suburbs, because there only a short time was built before the Protestant Church of the Holy Peace. Holy Trinity. About the City Maria was painted as their patroness. Two angels holding coat of arms: on the one hand, is the monogram of Christ, IHS, on the other the arms of the city Świdnica of four fields. In the picture there is also a Latin inscription: < p>
“Sub tuum praesidium confugimus” , which means: “Under your protection we take refuge.”
It is worth noting that some of the houses located within the city walls were covered with shingles, others with roof tiles. Particularly impressive is the present Schweidnitzer fortifications.
The best description of these fortifications has left us at the turn of the 16th to 17th century living Nicholas Thomas:“(…) From all sides surrounds namely a double, wide, deep, with stone and rubble increased moat. On it are, in the order of seven bridges that not a stone or a heavy iron are built, but its pillars form of wood whipped frameworks, and the [used for] building material is easy so you can it pull up faster and thus non-resident entities may deny access to the city. further show two stone walls, made with lime associated stones,. above them extends a third higher than the previous one, built of solid stone, with its hundreds of wall openings and loopholes from afar Twenty-four earthen walls or towers, how to call it better form the culmination of the wall screens. Goals of indestructible durability close these walls one, so that no one can penetrate during the night in the sleeping city and armed the unsuspecting population can invade (…) “
The next chapel of the southern nave is dedicated to the Three Kings . It was donated by the Schweidnitzer patrician Nicholas Leo to 1395. The is located in her altar from the second half of the 17th century represents: the Adoration of the Magi, about the angels who proclaim the birth of Christ, next to Bishop Maternus and the King of France figures of St, Louis. of the saint. The painting on the wall shows Saint. Anton of Padua. The altar panel contains the letters (Caspar, Melchior, Balthasar). In the wall of the chapel is the grave of the plate buried here Chancellor of the Principality Świdnica Jawor and imperial adviser Wilhelm Heinrich von Oberg , who died in 1646 at the age of 48 years, walled.
Behind the described chapel is the Choir of Marie brotherhood , and Citizens Choir called (built around 1468 the chapel of St. Thomas, the former sacristy). The double staircase leading to the choir, is located within vierjochigen arcades, whose top end is opened by the balustrade of the gallery. The handles, the balustrade and the roof are carried out in late Gothic style. On the sides the figures of two bishops were installed in the 20th century. A valuable monument is modeled after St. Mary’s Church in Kraków which contained herein Gothic St. Mary’s Altar, 1492 donated by provost Stanislaus Bernwaldt, a five-piece altar, the Veit Stoss altar .
It represents the Dormition of the Holy Virgin Mary ., the kneeling Mary holds in her hand a light, the Saint John it is based. Next to it is in bishop dresses Saint Peter with a holy water vessel, it the 1492 addition, we see the Holy. Bartholomew with a book and the other apostles. About the group God the Father, surrounded by two angels who receives the soul of Mary. The edge of her dress is covered with Latin inscriptions. On the wings of the altar we see the Annunciation, Birth of Christ, the sacrifice in the temple, the Adoration of the. Epiphany, Christ on the Mount of Olives, his arrest, he is beaten, crowned with thorns, ecco homo (behold the man), Christ carries the cross, crucified, taken from the cross, resurrection and ascension of Christ. The outer wings show sixteen today faced saints, including: Liborius and Erasmus, Sebastian and Rochus, Macharius of Antioch and Jodokus, Anton the Hermit and Onuphrios. On the altar base are sculptures: the St. Hedwig of Silesia, St. Elizabeth of Hungary and St. Helene.
On the opposite side of the altar hangs a Baroque painting, that the princes Schweidnitzer Bolko II. the Small , which is applicable according to the tradition as the founder of the church. The decorated late-Gothic entrance to the sanctuary is one of the most beautiful works of art of this era in Silesia. During the renovation of the church at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries were a chapel above the vaulted arch and Gothic paintings depicting the Holy. St. Anne, a figure in cap and red jacket sitting on the throne, found again on the wall. She is surrounded by angels. Above it is a relief of the Annunciation. Compared to the Mater amabilis, ie the one that is worthy of love. And about an angel with the handkerchief of St.. Veronika.
The last chapel in the south aisle is the vestry. This is a former chapel, which was founded in 1342 by the Patrician Konrad Kirch thing and rebuilt at the turn of the 18th century of 17. Above the entrance is a painting of St.. Johann Franz Régis, donated in thanks for his intercession in saving the church and the Jesuit College before the fire 1716 depends Before the sacristy there is a grave slab of the Provost Hugo Simon, who in on 22/07/1897 Vienna died. He served for 32 years as a chaplain in Schweidnitz. He was born on 27.06.1828 in Berlin. He was a military chaplain and distinguished himself during the Prussian-Austrian-Danish War of 1864 by special courage. First he advanced, with the cross in his hand, on the Danish fortress in chaff before. For his actions he was awarded the Order of the Red Eagle with swords and the Order of Merit “Piis meritis”.
The ship is completed from the east by the chapel of St.. Franz Xaver, currently Chapel of the Sacred Heart is called. Are sculptures and paintings are on their walls from the Life of St. Franz Xaver, including Landscapes of the Far East and the lonely death of the saint. Hugo Simon made from the two Ältaren that were previously dedicated to St.. Franz Xaver and the Blessed Sacrament, an altar of the Sacred Heart. In the altar clothing we see the Holy. St. John the Baptist with a lamb, a vessel for scooping water from the source and grapes. Above the altar, the Last Supper was carved in wood, surrounded by ears of corn and grapes that are reminiscent of wine and bread. Two angels hold a ribbon with the inscription:
“Oh Heart of Jesus, I love you as you loved me before.”
In the Heart of Jesus, surrounded by rays. We also see the letters IHS, which relate both to the name of Jesus and the Jesuits. At the chapel, from left, an altar of the Holy Cross with numerous wood reliefs. On the altar clothing a brass serpent that winds on the cross and the Scene of the Lamentation of Christ . Above the altar table the napkin of St.. Veronika, carried by the angels, about the crucifixion scene. In angel. In small fields around and the altar are gilded reliefs, referring to the sufferings of Christ and the 30 silver dollars of Judas.
The main altar is increased slightly due to the crypt underneath. This is the work of Johannes Riedel, completed in 1694, inspired by the Baroque altar in the church of Val – de – Grace in Paris. The requirements herein carvings from the south side in the following order are: St. Florian, St. Francis Xavier, St. Wenceslas, St. Stanislaus, St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. George……. Above the altar enthroned the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of the World, God the Father and the Holy Spirit . Seven Pillars build on the biblical book of books:
“The wisdom a house is built, and built seven pillars.”
On the wall on the right side of the presbytery a huge painting is related to the murder of St.. Wenceslas, work of the famous Silesian Baroque painter Michael Willmann of 1668 Opposite him is a picture of the death of St. Stanislaus of Szczepanów. Both provide the patrons of the church. On the right and left of the altar, mounted in the wall, were plates with Latin inscriptions on the history of the Church and the Jesuit order.
Another altar (von1696) is the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary dedicated. The altar clothing shows the Ark of the harmony . In a relief of Esther, which campaigns against the Persian king for the Jews. The main relief of the altar is the subject of Immaculate Conception – Mary , which smashed the serpent’s head, over her Saints service . Above the altar, an angel with a heart of gold. The altar is surrounded by small reliefs to Maria. We see, inter alia, Symbols of the Litany of Loreto.
The north aisle is a chapel of Hl. Ignaz von Loyola , which is dedicated to the Holy Mother of God of Czestochowa today completed. The altarpiece from 1947 depicts the patron saint of the chapel. In its lower part are famous Polish churches, including displayed in Lviv, Vilnius, Krakow and Częstochowa. Above the altar the letters IHS and OAMDG are to see what “Omnia ad Dei gloriam maiorem” means (all for the greater praise of Men). On the right is a picture of St. Ignatius of Loyola and other saints of the Jesuit order. St. Francis Xavier, St. Francis Borgia, St. Alois, St. Stanislaus Kostka, St. John Francis Regis, St. John Berchmans and St……. . Franz Hieronymus. Because the Holy. Ignaz was a soldier in an early stage of his life to give him a place in the army of Christ the King is often attributed to how well the mounted above the altar Panoplium originates, ie the decorative motif with weapons elements and standards. On the left side of a wooden chapel decorated with beautiful inlaid wooden bench in the Renaissance style from the year 1587 in the floor plate of a late Gothic grave Bernwaldt family, is among the dead is among other things the local provost Stanislaus mentioned.
The first chapel on the north east of the ship is baptistery , formerly known as the Chapel of the Bader (lifeguard). She is from the rest of the church separated by a beautiful wrought Renaissance-grid of 1591 (made by a locksmith named Schweidnitzer Andriss). The chapel was built about mid-15th century. In her floor a Steinepitaph from 1669 is embedded, the family of mayors on fungi, the then owner of the nearby village of mushrooms (Bole? Cin). The pictures on the walls build on the seven Holy. Sacraments to. Noteworthy is the baroque image depicting the expulsion of the Jews from Schweidnitz. This happened in 1453, when they were accused of poisoning a well. During the torture, she should have been the desecration of the Host. AM15. August 1453 were burned publicly seventeen Jews, confiscated their property, all remaining Jews were expelled for ever from Świdnica also confiscated their property, converted the synagogue on the Corpus Christi Church. A great image shows the poisoning of wells, the desecration of the Host and the expulsion of the Jews. We see there also the decree of the king Ladislaus V. Posthumus from 7 March 1454 to the mentioned events.
Particularly noteworthy is the octagonal baptismal font made of sandstone, which was ordained by a Lutheran pastor on November 1, 1592 the word of God. Stone reliefs were on their pages attached: the Flood, the introduction of the ritual of circumcision, Moses raises his staff and the Red Sea devours the Egyptians, the Circumcision of Jesus, Philip baptizes the servant of the queen under Candace, St. Paul lays his hands on. Jesus lets the children come to Jesus and be baptized by the Holy. St. John the Baptist.
Behind the Baptistery (in the west) is the altar of St.. Johannes Nepomuk. The saint is shown on the altar table.
Next behind the Hl. Hedwig consecrated chapel (formerly the chapel of the tailors’ guild) with an altar by the end of the 17th century. The Jesuits dedicated it to the Holy widows that are shown on the altar image of Franz Heigel: the Empress Helena in the Holy Cross, the Blessed Hedwig of Silesia, the St. Elizabeth of Hungary, St. Frances of Rome and St. Margaret… of Scotland. The sculptures refer to the figures on the altar image. In the Holy. Hedwig displayed on a screen in front of the cross, the conclusion is the atoning Magdalena. Two sculptures, representing widows with swords are not to identify. On the wall of the wonderful wooden epitaph from the second half of the 17th century the Schweidnitzer councilors Andreas Nauck and his wife Ludmila. The deceased are shown in the lower part. The picture in the middle of the epitaph shows a scene from the first book of Moses in the Old Testament, Jacob before Pharaoh. On the Epitaph two inscriptions, one relates directly to the deceased:
“In 1567, on February 18, is asleep in the Lord, the honorable and reverend Mr. Andreas Nauck, of local catch Lord. Subsequently in 1584, on 23 May, is the honorable and virtuous wife Ludmilla, born porter, his wife, died. both you and us give the Lord the happy resurrection on the day of Judgment. “
In the crypt beneath the chapel (so it is a little bit elevated) are buried the Jesuits of Swidnica.
Behind the described chapel is the Altar of St. Jude Thaddeus . At the feet of the Saint there are people shown who addressed the Him with their concerns.
In addition, a Gothic door , which leads to the former library. She is shod with metal strips crosswise, in the fields are in the shape of diamonds alternately Mary, the Archangel Gabriel, the Silesian eagle and the Bohemian lion represented.
A third chapel of the northern nave is dedicated to St. dedicated to John the Baptist, it was donated by the guild of drapers to 1474 The carved into the altar clothing name of Jesus IHS and the word Maria are intertwined. On the altar is a statue of Christ, a so-called. “Infant Jesus”, which was venerated especially in Silesia during the Counter Reformation. The altarpiece represents the St. John the Baptist as a grown man. The painting also shows him as a child with the child Jesus and both parents. On the top of the altar an image of the head of St. Johannes on the tablet. The above figures represent the Holy to be seen. John and the Holy. Jacob the Elder there, on the side of the main picture, however, are the Holy. Jude Thaddeus and St.. Jacob the Younger shown. On the back wall a picture of him is the scene of the judgment of King Boleslaus II. Generous about the the Holy. Stanislaus. In the upper part of the picture God with a flaming sword and the Holy. St. John the Baptist with a lamb. This symbolizes the fate of the Cracow bishop representing the repetition of injustice, which is the Holy. Befall John the Baptist. Next to the chapel is an altar, the Hl. Dismas dedicated. On it an image of the crucified saints, according to the Gospel, a chastened robbers. Including the Good Samaritan with the traveler who has been attacked by the robbers. The legend has it that St. Dismas one of them..
Behind the northern entrance to the church (Gate of the Bride) is about the coming of 1955 Altar of Our Lady of Perpetual Help . On the wall above the altar is a sculpture of Golgotha is attached, with figures of the crucified Christ, the Blessed Virgin Mary, St.. Mary Magdalene and St. Apostle John. In addition, shows a baroque sculpture of Christ on the Mount of Olives, a work by Johannes Riedel. After the Last Supper, Jesus went with some disciples in the garden on the Mount of Olives (also called the Garden of Gethsemane). During his disciples asleep, Jesus began to pray, because of the angels, Christ gave the cup pain.
A little further on is a Pieta Mary holding the dead Christ on her knees, is the inscription at the feet of this gothic work is:.
“Origo hujus 1499 imaginis est” , ie “This work was started in 1499” .
This date has been questioned, it was found that the sculpture was created in 1422.
Organ Choir (the main entrance) was set up in 1705 to a two-part organ with wonderful sculptures by Georg Leonhard Weber from the beginning of the 18th century on the organ. Among them we recognize the Holy. Cecilia and King David, surrounded by angels.
On the walls of the nave hang six large rectangular pictures , derived from the early 18th century, with scenes from the lives of the saints of the Church of St. Stanislaus and St. Wenceslaus. On the left side distributed the St. Stanislaus his possessions to the poor -., The painting is decorated with the coat of arms of the family of Schaffgotsches, St. Stanislaus excommunicated Boleslaus II the Brave – The painting was donated by the Society of Jesus in Świdnica, St. Stanislaus bringing a dead back to life, this is in court testimony for him – the picture is decorated with the coat of arms of the abbot of Grüssau. . On the right side: an enemy of St. Wenceslas himself accuses him penitent at the feet – a gift from the Earl of Nimptsch, St. Wenceslas reconcile two feuding parties – a work that was given by the Count of Nostitz, St. Wenceslas is honored by the emperor with the sign of kingship – the picture is with the existing four-field arms of the city Świdnica (donated by the City Council). A smaller, oval painting is seen from the altar represent: the Saviour, and Mary also the saints of the Jesuit Order. St. Alois, St. Stanislaus Kostka, St. John Berchmans, St. John Francis Regis, St. Francis Borgia, St…… Francis Xavier and the Hl. Ignaz von Loyola .
In the console on the pillars of the nave are Statues (works by Georg Leonhard Weber from the years 1709 to 1710) with the cartridges of the previously existing chapel at the gates. They were together with the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Holy. Wenceslas and St.. Stanislaus recognized as patrons of the city. From the left side of the entrance towards the main altar: St. Barbara, St. Martin, St. Wolfgang and St. Peter, on the right side:…. St. Margaret, St. Lawrence, St. John the Baptist, St. Nicholas…. and Hl. Paulus. Initially, the rulers of the city were willing to donate these sculptures, later they parted, however, of this idea, when they learned that each of them about 50 Floren [gold coins from Florence] should cost. The mayor Neumann, who donated a figure of this saint due to the fact that he had taken office on the day of St.. Martin, remained the only at the transaction.
The Hl. Martin lived in the fourth century, he was Bishop of Tours. He is known as the Apostle of Gaul. According to the legend he is, when he saw a naked beggar at the gate, have shared with the sword his coat and gave the beggar a half. The following night Christ appeared in the dream, dressed in this jacket half. Thereupon, Martin was converted. In the middle of the nave there is a baroque pulpit, a work Johannes Riedel of 1698
Over the entrance to the pulpit we find the popular motto of the Jesuits AMDG , that means to greater glory of God. Three fields in the shape of diamonds at the entrance to the pulpit to show in relief the theological virtues: a female figure with cross and chalice – the Faith , a second with an anchor – the, hope a third, surrounded by children – the love . In the niches of the balustrade of the pulpit, the four evangelists are represented with their symbols. On the pier a wooden relief with the didactic Christ is attached. On the canopy of the pulpit are the four Fathers of the Church again: Pope Gregory with a dove, Bishop Augustine with a boy, Bishop Ambrose with a lion and the hermit Jerome with a skull. In three niches above the figures of the power of God, the Word of God and the wisdom of God. On both sides of the pillar that holds the pulpit, standing figures of St.. Peter and Paul. The pulpit is crowned by angels, the call with the trumpets of the Final Judgment.
There are numerous epitaphs preserved on the outer walls of the temple. If you go on the north wall of the church towards the east, you will encounter the first of them. It is a Renaissance epitaph with a representation of the crucified Christ, however, including the relatives of the deceased kneel. On the common epitaph of Mathias Tschinder (1521) and his wife Anna, nee Friend (1534) and Sebastian Tschinder (1565) and his wife Anna, née Beck (1564), the following inscription is placed:
“In 1521, is asleep in the Lord of the venerable Mathias Tschinder, citizen and alderman of the city Schweidnitz, and in 1534 Anna girlfriend, his wife, and then in 1565 Sebastianus Tschinder and 1564 Anna Beckin, his wife . God have mercy on them. “
The next grave plate belongs to the municipal councilors Gregor friend who suffered from gout until death. The Epitaph of Tschinder family in shape is very similar to the grave slab of Stenzel Friend (1541) and his wife Barbara (1531). Here we read:
“The venerable Stenzel friend died in 1541, on 18 July, God bless him. In 1531, on December 24, died the venerable wife Barbara, the wife of the Stenzel friend.”
Another epitaph is the brothers Jakob and Sybille dedicated Horst (1571).
The Gate of the Bride . This Gothic portal has a rich character representation. We see here the Holy. St. John the Baptist, the Holy. Petrus, the mother who pushes her child to her, and two smiling faces. Of particular note are scenes that serve as pillars of the upper part of the portal. On the right side the biblical figure of Dalila, Samson’s hair is cut off, to deprive him of his power, is shown. On the left, however, the Greek philosopher Aristotle, who carries Phyllis on the back. Phyllis was a maid at King Philip of Macedonia, at whose court Aristotle as a teacher of the king’s son (the future Alexander the Great) was employed. Aristotle was inflamed by the love of beautiful servant. This gave him some hope, under the condition that he allows her to climb onto his back. Aristotle fulfilled this wish and then heard from her: How easily can it make from an old scholar a donkey. The standing next courtiers burst into laughter. This Gothic representations should warn future husbands in front of female malice. More epitaphs on the north side of the church represent: the grave slab of Katharina Maiwirt (1585), a nameless Epitaph with a Relief of the resurrection of Christ and the grave slab of a deceased pastor in 1603. The epitaphs on the south side of the church are not accessible to visitors.
If you continue in the direction of the presbytery of the Church, meets at on the left side, at the plac Jana Paw? II a (place of John Paul II.), two neo-Gothic houses. One of them is the so-called. House of the Holy. Georg , built in 1891 as a hospital of Elisabeth sisters. Since the premises of the object soon became inadequate, 1928 Westerplatte (Reichenbach Road) was a new hospital at ul. Built.
The former Jesuit College . Is the 1667-built college at the church. In 1800, the Prussian king had redesignate the greater part in a reformatory. It was opened in 1802. There were 400 protégés care. The layout of the colleges in a church part (which now serves as a parsonage) and a secular part applies today. The college was built in the form of the letter T. It has a Baroque facade, which is divided by pairs of Tuscan columns and an ornate base has. The windows of the lower floor have essays, were mounted on the stone balls. The north wing is crowned by a Baroque Thympanon with ornaments and vases on the sides. The College is an oil painting has a depiction of the great fire in Schweidnitz. It broke out on September 12, 1716 and half past one in the afternoon at the inn “Black Raven” , which stood before the gate Striegauer from. As a result of terrible wind and fire burned within four hours 165 houses. According to the inscription on the picture of the fire fell victim: the southern part of the ul Grodzka (cloister), the eastern side of ul Zamkowa (castle Plan), the northern part of the Kotlarska (Kupferschmiedestraße) (with the city’s arsenal and supply depot).. the western and southern side of the square, the town hall (by some miracle the city archives therein was saved) with the tower, the house of the merchants and the shopkeepers, the southern side of ul. Pu? askiego (Hohstrasse), the slaughterhouse, the whole ul. D? uga (long street), ul. Daleka (width church Street) and ul. Klasztorna (Small church Street), ul. SPO? dzielcza (Fleischer street) behind the Jesuit School, ul. Trybunalska (Kroischstraße) and a part ul. Ró? ana (Rose street). Back then burned many great patrician and aristocratic residences, including the palace of Oppersdorf family. Even the famous in their time private libraries, such as the collections Schober, Ebersbach and Milich are burned.